Wednesday, January 12, 2011

The Dogs

My kids before Xavi were the hairy, four legged variety. 


Sasha found me in March of 2000 and is probably around 14 years old. 



Diego found me in November of 2003 and is around 8 years old now.

There were days when my "kids" were the only thing that got me out of bed in the morning and I loved them whole heartedly.  Sasha and Diego pretty much went everywhere with me and have been my constant companions.  Both were great running partners and I hope Diego will help me get back in shape when that time comes.  Sasha is now a bit old  and sometimes unsteady on her feet.  She has very selective hearing and probaby doesn't see that well...but she always reminds me that it is time for our walk or for dinner if I keep them waiting too long.  But she has always been my angel...more like a cat than a dog except I am sure she would say she was a person, not a dog.  Diego is our buddy...wanting to be everywhere we are, even if it's just to wait in the car.  We call him "cozy mozy" because he loves to cuddle up next to anyone that looks remotely comfortable...finding the smallest of nooks and crannies to work himself into.  He likes to sleep under the covers, often right next to Mario. 



Xavi has brought out different reactions in both dogs...Sasha can be momentarily interested if he is on the floor or in his seat on the floor.  She will come up and sniff him with her ears perked and tail raised...but then, she goes on about her business (sleeping, sniffing, and looking for a play on occasion).  If Xavi is napping and they both come out of the bedroom, I know that he is waking up and making noises...they are just coming to tell me.  Sasha is more likely coming to tell me so that I can make it stop so she can get back to sleep OR to keep that "little pink animal" from ramping into full on yell. 


I totally had to trick into staying this close...



Keeping a safe distance from all commotion...but still happy to be part of the pack.

Diego has assumed the role of guardian.  I mean, he was always in a protective service role, meaning property perimeter control or doorbell reinforcement.  But now, he keeps a very close eye on Xavi and although he never gets intrusively close or shows too much excitement outwardly over the boy..he is always on hand.   Matter of fact, he follows us from room to room and sets up "post" between us and the door.  He sits with his back to us, facing the door...as if he were our secret service protection detail.  When Xavi is crying in the bedroom, he will come running out as if to say..."the boy is up, what are my orders?"  Take a look back at many of the pictures on this blog and you'll likely see Diego somewhere close by.  Now, Xavi even smiles at Diego...his first puppy.



Here, Diego is getting "cozy mozy" on Xavi's Boppy nursing pillow. 
I was burping Xavi and so he climbed right up. Xavi got mad then.
 Ponch is a pure bred Queensland cattle dog that Mario's had since 2006.  Ponch loves to party and hug..he was becoming my go to buddy, helping me on all my errands...but unfortunately he was naughty and had to go live with gramma and grampa for awhile.  It might have been more than a handful with a new baby and three dogs...maybe after some training he can come back home.  He will get to meet Xavi this week when we travel to visit with the Melendez family in El Paso and Ruidoso, NM.  More to come on that visit...

I do have to admit that when people told me that my dogs would mean less once I had a baby, I scoffed at the suggestion.  And they don't mean less...I still love them and can't imagine not having them.  But it IS different...I guess how I feel for them simply pales in comparison to the incomparable love I feel for Xavi. But they still get us out of the house every day...twice...and I'm very thankful for that. 

No comments:

Post a Comment