Saturday, February 5, 2011

Dad

Mario and I are amazed each time we think "we are parents! I'm a mom..you're a dad!".  It blows my mind to think that I am someone's mom...I mean, cmon, really?  Someone gave ME a child??  (Stop laughing Rachel!)  I am a huge klutz and never was much of a kid person.  That is until I became an aunt 4.5 years ago.  Then I got a taste of the overwhelming love a parent has for their child.  Now, although I am a bit relieved everytime Xavi takes a nap or goes to bed at night, it is soon replaced by missing him and looking forward to him waking up again.  Mario and I both perk up when we hear his little wake up noises and we rush in together to see him.  It's a precious thing to pick up your baby and hold him close, nuzzled in your neck.  Mario melts everytime he picks Xavi up and I have to say there is nothing I like to see more than my man holding our baby.  So, I decided that it was a good time for a dad photo "montage".  I wish I could set it to music...oh wait - the music of our lives.  Ready Go!
 Everybody has been saying that Xavi looks like me...I can see it now, but I also can see the boy he will one day be..and am sure he'll look a lot like his papa.  Take a look at these photos and see if you agree. 


Early on, Xavi's favorite pacifier was papa's pinky


I include the next two because Mario took the pictures laughing "hysterically" all the while (Ok, as hysterically as Mario gets (not very)...that's usually my department.)


I think I drank too much...
Ugh...what did I eat?

Mario is currently finishing his Master's in Acupuncture Oriental Medicine and his Master's in clinical nutrition, while starting his Doctorate of Physical Therapy.  He will start a new job in March and is in the Navy Reserves.  He will deploy next year.  We love our precious "Papa time" and I know that each minute is so very special.  I couldn't do it without him and look forward to what else the journey has for us.  But for now, I just wanted to enjoy looking at my two favorite guys again. 










Every day I am thankful for all that I have been given, especially the second (and third and fourth,etc) chances...This journey will be all that I could hope for because of the partner I have.  Everytime I see Mario with Xavi, I am so glad he took that chance to talk to me, at an event he didn't want to be at, on a trip he wasn't supposed to be on, in a profession he is no longer pursuing, following a new direction of life, after being given the opportunity to live, by men who gave their all...so that we could have Xavi. 

3 comments:

  1. I can't believe you took a picture of his oop. (BTW what DID he eat?)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Karen
    congratulation on your beautiful family!

    I'm a birth educator in Slovenia (http://www.slovenia.info/)
    and I'm preparing new workshops for future parent and I'm looking for some pictures that would help me explain few things to the future parents.
    I have found some of your pictures (pinky pacifier, healthy-breastfeeding-normal poop, daddy and kangaroo care) that would help me
    and I'm asking you if I could use your picture for education purposes.

    Thank you
    Andreja
    (you can finde more info about me here:
    http://www.facebook.com/vis.feminea
    http://www.birthconference.com/)
    ;)

    ReplyDelete